David Derfel was called to the Bar in Ontario in 2002 after completing law school at the University of Windsor. David also possesses a honours commerce degree from York University. Prior to establishing Derfel Injury Law in 2014 David practiced law at a prominent mid-sized Toronto law firm. David eventually became a partner of the firm involved in many of important decisions regarding the firm’s personal injury practice.
At the firm David gained knowledge and expertise in many areas of law including criminal defence, commercial litigation, insurance defence litigation and corporate/commercial law. This broad exposure to many areas of law early in his career has enabled David to identify and address many the issues that can arise in a personal injury claim that other lawyers many not. An accident, injury or illness can impact every aspect of one’s life and David’s experience with multiple practice areas distinguishes him from other lawyers who may only identify some of the issues.
For many years David’s practice has been focused almost exclusively on plaintiff personal injury claims. Access to justice has always been important to David. The University of Windsor’s Faculty of Law where David attended law school is focused on access to justice and it was a key consideration in where he went to law school and a large component of the many of the courses he took. Facing multi-billion and multi-national insurance companies in defence of the individual is what drives David to excel in his practice. David believes that without access to justice advocates, those who are injured and disabled are left to fend for themselves before the insurmountable power of insurance companies. Following the important lessons he learned when a law student, David focuses his efforts to even the playing field and bring to account those companies that deny and delay what is necesssary to get his clients better, back on their feet and fairly compensated. Without access to justice there is no justice at all.
David has been a presenter on legal issues related to personal injury at conferences, in hospitals and other professionals on matters such as chronic pain, the Insurance Act, how to structure large personal injury settlements and how to access alternative funding before a claim settles. David has represented clients in jury and non-jury trials in the Superior Court of Justice and before administrative tribunals including the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and the CPP Appeals Tribunal. Having acted for clients at trial, David knows every aspect of a claim from the beginning to conclusion at trial.
David is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Trial Law Association, the American Association for Justice and the Florida Justice Association.
News and Media
- Occupiers’ liability changes in Ontario will result in people being denied access to justice: lawyer – The Lawyer’s Daily
Community Support and Volunteering
- Helped to incorporate obtain charitable status for the not for profit organization United Chesed of Toronto an organization that provides urgent, short-term relief to families and individuals in crisis situations and to distribute food, furniture, household goods, medical supplies, and other essential resources to those in need
- Assisted in the incorporation and the obtaining of chartable status the not for profit organization Canadian Friends of Kulanu an organization that brings together diverse religious communities throughout the world
- Assistant coach of Vaughan JCC Minor Novice NYHL Select Hockey for the 2016-2017 season
- Coach for Vaughan JCC House League Hockey from 2012 to 2017
- Coach for JCC Chai Sports Novice Developmental Select Hockey for the 2013-2014 season
- Coach for JCC Chai Sports Minor Atom Select Hockey for 2014-2015
- Coached for JCC Chai Sports Novice Developmental Select Hockey for 2015-2016 season
- Coach Vaughan Soccer Club house league soccer 2011
- Coach Glen Shields Soccer Club house league soccer 2010
- Chai Lifeline
- Chai Sports House League Hockey from
- Vaughan JCC Select Hockey
- Avenue Road Hockey Select